Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Friends come and go

When I was very ill with mental illness I made and lost a lot of friends because I was so unpredictable and unreliable. It is interesting nowadays that i am more even in my behaviour and moods that friends still come and go. My most disappointing loss was another friend who has bipolar. She would get very sick every 18 months or so and ended up in hospital each time. I found these times deeply disturbing and finally had to tell her I couldn't be her friend anymore as it was affecting my own recovery. She would often mention not taking her medication and getting up to other mischief which I found enticing. I was thinking of her today on my beach walk and I miss her a lot. There were so many great qualities about her. It is another price I pay for my mental illness. Losing friends I realise happens to everyone so I am learning to go with the flow. I am grateful for the friends I do have.
Do friends come and go in your life?
lots of love from susan in australia

1 comment:

Susan Hosken said...

Saw Adrienne down the beach a few years later. i gave her a hug. glad to see her.

lots of love from susan in Australia